Babies are precious little people that require our attention and right judgment hence, it is no wonder that we are always asking if it’s okay to give them this or let them wear that. The same goes for wearing socks.
Since newborns have tiny feet, they need extra protection from various elements and conditions. But the truth is, they don’t need to wear their socks all the time. While it is better to have their stash of socks, there are factors to consider when letting them wear one.
It’s normal for us parents to become worried about our children’s well-being and that goes beyond feeding, vaccination and sleeping patterns. Thus, it is necessary to know whether we let them wear socks or not.
No products found.
Why do Babies Need to Wear Socks?Socks and their Importance
The issue about socks can manage the rounds whether we are with relatives or with momma friends. Some are skeptic about letting their newborn’s feet covered with socks thinking that it could impede the normal development of the feet. According to experts, this is somewhere in between.
- Aside from being a cute accessory to your baby’s OOTD, socks also help regulate their temperature, especially during winter. Their body warmth most escapes through their feet so it is important to protect it with socks.
- Their feet are the softest making them susceptible to sunburn and sharp objects. Wearing the right kind of socks will also prevent them from insect bites.
- Babies and toddlers also need to wear socks with their shoes to help absorb excess moisture. It also lessens the friction of the shoes to their skin.
- Socks provide comfort which prevents babies from having difficulties in sleeping. We know that it can result in issues like fussiness and restlessness. Also, lack of warmth can make them feel overstimulated. Cold feet compress blood vessels which can cause poor blood circulation.
Take note that the body sends heat to vital organs so they can function normally. Hence, we have to keep them warm. Aside from these pointers, socks are important not only for newborns and babies but for toddlers and adults as well.
In this video, you can learn that there is more to socks than keeping the feet war as discussed by Dr. NoahBlumofe, DPM. (source)
When is the Best Time for Socks?
Even if socks are necessary, it can impose serious health risks to newborn babies if not used properly. Likewise, tight socks can cause scarring, sock-line bands and red marks to their young skin. Though harmless, the sock-line hyper-pigmentation can result in permanent scarring.
The general rule is, dress your infant with an additional layer of clothing than you are comfortable wearing. For an instance, you can add a footed pajama instead of a pair of pajama over your child’s onesie.
When taking your child outside during cold days, socks are essential to keep from frostbite especially if its snowing says HealthyChildren.Org. Likewise, they need them during fall days but not when it’s summer when the weather is sweltering.
Dr. Chaitali Laddad, Founder & Director, The Pediatric Network said, mothers should take cues from their kids’ behavior to know how much clothing is required. Socks and extra items are not necessary for humid conditions as it can cause discomfort and too much sweating.
Another common question is “how can we tell if our kids are not warm enough?” The answer is by feeling their hands and feet with your own. If these parts are cold compared to their stomach, chest, and forehead, then we can say they are under-dressed.
Otherwise, don’t make them wear socks or booties when their legs and feet are warm or your baby might be overdressed. It is crucial that we check our baby’s body temperature many times per day to ensure that they are feeling warm.
Find the Perfect Fit
Not all socks are the same and some of them were made according to a specific use and specific users. Thus, we have to look for certain things before purchasing socks for our children.
- Make sure that the product is not too small or too tight for your baby to avoid impeding the natural foot development and to prevent pigmentation and rashes as well.
- Tight socks also restrict blood circulation.
- Experts suggest that we go for socks with elastic tops as these stay on the feet. Likewise, take note of the materials used. Some were made of natural soft fibers, cotton or artificial fiber.
- Warming up the feet before bedtime helps babies to relax and doze off but make sure that their socks are not too bulky.
- To avoid stress in matching your child’s outfit to her socks, Dr. Sandy L. Chung, a pediatrician and author of “Dr. Sandy’s Top to Bottom Guide to Your Newborn” suggests that we buy socks in one color.
Aside from socks, additional pieces and clothes such as booties, fleece blankets, hats, and mitten are recommended to use to help maintain the ideal body heat of the child. Do not just settle for any kind of clothing especially socks.
Find the ones that perfectly fit so it won’t easily come off right. You can find some of the best baby socks today. Pay attention to the materials and product reviews so you will end up buying the perfect pair for your little one.
Gone are the days where the society requires babies to wear socks all the time. Some say this is to prevent them from being colicky but experts say otherwise. There are days when socks are needed and some days, we just need those little feet out.
So calm down and inform others the importance of wearing socks and the health risks of wearing them wrong. Other persons are more sensitive cold compared to others so it is best to monitor your child and seek professional advice when in doubt.
No products found.
Related Buyer’s guides and MomTrustedChoice Lists:
Last update on 2022-08-12 at 21:42 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API