Summer doesn’t seem like a concern that we should be looking at but before you know it, the temperatures will rise, and our children will be begging to go outside and play in the sunshine. Making sure that your kids have the best protection against harmful UV rays is essential for your children’s health, even if they’re going out for a little while.
Choosing a great sunscreen that will hold up in all conditions your child plays in is an excellent start to keeping them safe from UV rays. While wrangling your child down long enough to apply the sunscreen certainly has, it’s downsides; we’ll make sure that’s the only hard part you’ll have to deal with. In this article, we’ll look at some of the top ten best brands for sunscreen for kids.
How We Chose Our Ratings
Image via Amazon
With our reviews, we like to provide several factors that determine what ranks a product higher than another. All of the products on our list come highly rated, but if you want a chance at best in the list, then we want to do all of our research to provide that kind of result for you.
- Dermatologist Approved: Anything put on the skin can have all forms of claims placed on the label. Only products that meet a professional dermatologists standard will rank higher than those who don’t come with that recommendation.
- Parent Approved: Parents are the customers, and parent feedback on how a product works with their children will determine a large part of our rankings. Parents who find that they are satisfied with how a product works will rank higher than ones with lower rankings.
- The spectrum of protection: Yes a good sunscreen should be able to provide the very basics in giving your child a shield against the suns rays, however, will your sunscreen hold up when your child goes swimming or will your sunscreen manage to keep working after a track meet?
A good sunscreen should be able to keep up with all forms of activities that your kids may get involved with and the ones that can rank higher than those who don’t quite meet the standard.
– Top 10 Best Face Sunscreen For Kids –
1. Neutrogena Pure & Free Baby Mineral Sunscreen Stick with Broad Spectrum SPF 60
- 0.47-ounce of Neutrogena Pure & Free Baby Mineral Sunscreen Stick with Broad Spectrum SPF 60 provides baby with superior...
- Specially formulated baby mineral sunscreen stick is made with 100% naturally-sourced sunscreen ingredients zinc oxide...
- Ideal for face and ears, this baby sunscreen comes in a convenient, easy-to-use oil-free stick and has a weightless,...
One of the more outstanding achievements that this sunscreen is recognized for is the fact that it received an award for the National Eczema Association Seal of Acceptance for its gentle formula against sensitive skin. This fact makes it ideal for younger children – no younger than six months – and it protects up to SPF 60.
This sunscreen is fragrance-free, PABA-free and gives up to 80 minutes in water resistance before needing another application. This product comes highly recommended with dermatologists and pediatricians for providing the best skin protection for your child.
Many parents were pleased on how easy it was to apply to their child’s face and even happier that the sunscreen didn’t leave an oily residue on the skin after application. It held up well against sweat, humidity and the pool as it promised. Overall parents were very thrilled with how well the product worked on both their children and themselves.
You can find this product on Amazon for a low price as a one-time purchase.
2. Neutrogena Wet Skin Kids SPF 70
- 0.47-ounce stick of with Neutrogena Wet Skin Kids Sunscreen Stick with Broad Spectrum SPF 70 UVA and UVB sun protection
- Made for active kids, this sunscreen stick is specially formulated to work on your kid's wet or dry skin
- Non-greasy sunscreen stick instantly cuts through water, creating a water-resistant protection with every application...
If your kids love to play in the pool, then this sunscreen may be the best option out there. The Neutrogena Wet Skin Kids Sunscreen Spray is rated at SPF 70+ and works great on wet or dry skin. The application is quick and easy which works excellent with especially squirmy children, and you’ll have up to 80 minutes of water resistance provided for your child while they play.
Reapplication is easy and doesn’t cause a mess, even while your child is wet. Ordinary sunscreen will whiten when it comes in contact with water or sweat; this product doesn’t do that and applying it to wet skin won’t damper the effectiveness of the product.
The reason that this product works so well is thanks to the HELIOPLEX technology that allows the sunscreen to cut through water particles to protect UVA and UVB sun protection. You can find this product on Amazon for a low price, and it’s eligible for Prime membership subscriptions.
3. Baby Sunscreen Cream by Badger – SPF 30
- SIMPLY THE SAFEST SUNSCREEN FOR BABIES - Badger sets the standard for simple safe baby sunscreens that protect your...
- PROTECTS WITH THE MINERAL ZINC OXIDE - Badger’s SPF 30 Baby Sunscreen Cream uses our original non-nano, large particle...
- REEF SAFE SUNSCREEN - Safe for coral means safe for your baby too! Badger sunscreens are made without oxybenzone or any...
This sunscreen uses Zinc Oxide as it’s primary protection against the suns rays and zinc oxide comes recognized by both dermatologists and pediatricians for being a safe and effective method to protect the skin against UVA and UVB radiation. You won’t find things like:
- Or other active chemicals used in sunscreen agents.
You’ll get up to 40 minutes of water resistance using organic sunflower oil, Vitamin E, and beeswax to provide that protection and provide moisture to the skin without irritation. This formula comes tested and approved by pediatricians for babies six months and older as well as children. It’s completely hypoallergenic.
The tube is entirely biodegradable which makes it safe for coral reefs and various other ecosystems that are affected by the overabundance of plastic waste. You can find this product on Amazon for a low to average rate and currently set as an Amazon’s Choice product.
4. Blue Lizard Australian Sunscreen – Baby
While this sunscreen comes rated for SPF 30, it is paraben and fragrance-free which is excellent for sensitive skin types, including young children.
This sunscreen also comes with a stamp of approval from dermatologists and pediatricians thanks to the zinc oxide and titanium oxide present in the sunscreens ingredient list which comes attributed towards maximum sun protection.
You’ll get up to 40 minutes of water resistance, and Blue Lizard added a fun feature to their sunscreen bottle which turns it pink when exposed to harmful UV rays. Not only is this a neat feature to have, but it also reminds parents to reapply sunscreen to their children’s skin.
If the UV rays are harmful enough to turn the whole bottle pink, it may be time to come inside for a while. Some parents did complain that the sunscreen wasn’t strong enough to save their child from sunburn, in which case a stronger SPF may provide better protection. You can find this product on Amazon for an average price range and stands as an Amazon’s Choice product.
5. Vanicream Sunscreen Sport, Spf 50
With Vanicream Sunscreen, both parents and children can enjoy using this product thanks to its light formula that doesn’t leave you feeling greasy. This sunscreen uses titanium dioxide and zinc oxide to achieve maximum protection against UVB and UVA radiation and dermatologists agree that it works well in humid or wet environments.
You’ll be able to enjoy water resistance for up to 80 minutes. It’s free from:
You can purchase a higher SPF, but this specific review is covering an SPF of 50. Adjust your needs by the conditions of your living area. Ages six months and up are safe to use this product, both dermatologists and pediatricians agree that this is a good sunscreen to use on children, especially if they have sensitive skin.
You can purchase this item off of Amazon at an average price and listed as an Amazon’s Choice item.
6. All Good Kids Sunscreen – SPF 30
- GREAT FOR BABIES & KIDS: Our gentle kids and baby sunscreen includes natural ingredients and is gentle for babies 6...
- SKIN PROTECTION FORMULA: Protect your kids’ skin without the harmful toxins and chemicals. We use Zinc Oxide as the...
- LIGHTWEIGHT, NON-GREASY AND GENTLE ON SENSITIVE SKIN: Our SPF 30 Kid’s Sunscreen Lotion covers the basics (broad...
This lightweight formula works great on the skin and provides up to 80 minutes of water resistance at a time. This formula is also reef friendly, made from organic green tea, and rose hips to not only protect your skin but also to repair skin that’s already damaged. You’ll get up to SPF 30 in protection which covers both UVA and UVB radiation.
You won’t find the following in this formula either:
It’s vegan-friendly and entirely biodegradable for preventing adding to the plastic pile-up in the ocean and keep our coral reefs healthy. The Zinc-Oxide present in this formula also provides protection that’s approved by both pediatricians and dermatologists for sensitive skin and maximum security.
If you have skin that’s naturally dry, you are encouraged to rub a moisturizer on your skin before applying the sunscreen. Moisture helps bind the zinc to your surface to maximize protection against the suns rays. You can get a two-pack from Amazon at an average price.
7. La Roche-Posay Anthelios Kids Sunscreen for Face and Body SPF 60
No products found.
The company recommends applying the sunscreen 15 minutes before your child is allowed to play outside. It’s easy to spray on, gives a lightweight feel, and it’s formulated with antioxidants and Vitamin E to help bring out the best in your children’s skin.
You’ll also feel better knowing that it protects against UVB and UVA radiation which keeps your little ones from painful sunburns and blisters. You can find this product in 6.76 fluid ounces and 10.1 fluid ounces on Amazon at a low to average price range.
8. Sunology Kid’s & Baby Safe Mineral Sunscreen SPF 50
If you’re looking for a sunscreen that’s free of most every harmful chemical out there while still providing some of the best sunscreen protection then look no further. With Sunology’s Kid and Baby safe formula, you’ll be able to apply it on their skin without worry that they’ll come in contact with harmful chemicals and it’s a tearless product.This product is free from:
- And Cruelty
You’ll get up to 80 minutes of water and sweat resistance while protecting against UVB and UVA radiation. You can find this item listed on Amazon at an average price range and currently listed as an Amazon’s Choice item.
9. Babyganics Baby Sunscreen Spray, SPF 50
- Formulated without: PABA, phthalates, parabens, fragrances or nano-particles
- Forumlated with NeoNourish Seed Oil Blend: our own blend of tomato, sunflower, cranberry, black cumin and raspberry seed...
- made without oxybenzone and octinoxate
While the Babyganics sunscreen spray does have Octinoxate and Octisalate which have a lot of people wrinkling their noses, it does contain zinc oxide which is excellent for protecting skin from UV rays and aloe vera juice to soothe the skin.
The application is easy, directly spray onto your child’s skin and gently rub in. This light-weight formula doesn’t leave a greasy mess after you’ve rubbed it in and the applicator puts out an even coat along the skin. The product is hypoallergenic and fragrance-free which is excellent for sensitive skin and leaves your skin feeling silky soft afterward.
You can find this product on Amazon at an average rate for a two pack.
10. Banana Boat Ultramist Kids Tear Free Lotion SPF 50
- Broad Spectrum SPF 50
- Pack of 3, 6-ounces
- Tear Free and String-Free
Most people remember Banana Boat as a kid-friendly sunscreen and with protections up to SPF 50, you’ll have peace of mind knowing that your children won’t get sunburnt. You’ll get UVA and UVB radiation protection, and it’s tear and sting free which is convenient since it is a spray on application.
This product has been tested by pediatricians as an excellent product to use for children. You can purchase this item on Amazon as a three-pack for an average rate and currently listed as an Amazon’s Choice item.
Image via Amazon
If you’re going to apply sunscreen to young children, make sure you’re choosing a higher SPF and light formula. Children’s skin is much thinner and easily marred by the sun’s UV radiation, dermatologists and pediatricians both recommending keeping a low ingredient formula with frequent applications to keep them safe.On days that are unusually bright and hot, it may be best to reduce their outdoor time until the peak of the day has passed and the danger of UV radiation becomes lowered. Children under six months of age should not have sunscreen but instead kept out of the sunlight until they are old enough to take a sensitive skin formula.Ultimately you will be their best judgment as to what is safe. Finding a sunscreen that contains harmful preservatives will help your child feel their best at all times and gives you peace of mind that they aren’t coming in contact with ingredients that will harm them.Talking with your pediatrician about what products they recommend will give you a better idea of what products to use on your child, at least until they’re older.
Last update on 2022-02-07 at 10:48 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API