A form of flooring that is slowly becoming more popular is luxury vinyl plank (or LVP for short).
Also known as engineered vinyl plank (or EVP), LVP is a form of floor that is better than most other flooring by leaps and bounds, but that does not mean that it is perfect.
Coming in an overwhelming variety of colors, LVP offers you tons of options when it comes to the aesthetics of your floor. This is one of many good things about it.
Subfloors must be perfect when it comes to LVP. Because it is applied on the subfloor with reinforced adhesive, subfloors must be perfectly flat for the flooring to be applied. This is one of a few things that you need to look out for.
There are other good and bad things about LVP, as you will discover. In any case, if you need new flooring in your home, consider luxury vinyl plank flooring.
We’ll compare LVP flooring to linoleum, carpet and tile just to give you an idea of how much better LVP flooring can be.
Good Things About Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring
As mentioned earlier, one of the best things about LVP flooring are the numerous kinds of options that you have when it comes to the aesthetics of the surface.
- LVP flooring comes in virtually hundreds of different design patterns and colors that are a fit for any home. This beats carpet by miles, as there are not a lot of design and aesthetic options for carpet for any home.
- It is also superior to tile. While tile does offer the same kinds of colors that LVP flooring has, it does not nearly have as many design pattern options.
- When it comes to comparing to linoleum, there is no comparison. Linoleum has very little to offer when it comes to aesthetics. You’ll find many more options with LVP flooring.
- LVP flooring also has a lot to offer when it comes to the surface itself, when compared against other flooring.
- Carpet is not waterproof. Tile is somewhat waterproof, but can crack if something is dropped onto it, and is extremely hard and cold underfoot. Linoleum is very slippery and can be difficult to clean.
- Not only is LVP waterproof, but it will not break if something is dropped onto it. Although it looks like wood or linoleum, LVP is not made of the same kind of material. It is much more insulated in colder weather, meaning it will not get as cold.
- LVP is also not as slippery as tile or linoleum, making it much safer to walk on. The fact that LVP is not as slippery or as hard as tile and linoleum can prevent a number of slip and fall injuries.
- The surface of LVP is very easy to clean. It is very easy to detect stains that can be mopped and specks that can be swept.
- This is different than tile or linoleum, where stains develop very easily and can require a lot of mopping (and even floor scrubbing) to clean perfectly.
- It is also different and better than carpet, especially if you have pets.
- You know how stressful things can be if you have pets around a carpet. It can take a lot of time and effort to clean the impending carpet stains. This is not a problem at all with LVP flooring.
- Nothing beats luxury vinyl plank when it comes to their look and function. But there are a few places where LVP flooring could be improved.
Not-So-Good Things About Luxury Vinyl Plank
LVP flooring is not perfect. It has flaws just like any other form of flooring does.
- The first of these is actually related to the plethora of designs that are available to them. There is such a thing as too much variety, and this is true of LVP flooring.
- There are almost too many design options when it comes to luxury vinyl plank. It can be easy to get overwhelmed and this is an issue.
- It doesn’t take a lot of time, money, or effort to get carpet flooring installed. There are also a lot of specialists in this area so getting carpet flooring installed is very accessible.
- This is also true of tile and linoleum, both of which are very common forms of flooring.
- Unfortunately, luxury vinyl plank is not as common, and it is not only difficult to find people who can install LVP flooring, but it can also cost a lot of time and money.
- As it was mentioned much earlier, your subfloor needs to be perfect in order for luxury vinyl plank to even be installed.
- The other three forms of flooring can be possible with imperfect subfloors. Because of this, installing LVP flooring may not even be possible.
- Because luxury vinyl plank is made of several pieces and not just one piece like carpet, tile, or linoleum, they are prone to coming loose. There are a lot more things that hold vinyl planks together than other forms of flooring. This can lead to complications that you may not be used to.
- Armed with this kind of information, you should now be able to decide whether luxury vinyl plank flooring is right for you.
- If you are tired of your flooring not being as functional or as attractive as you want it to be, consider LVP flooring. The flooring comes in a lot of different patterns and colors. It is also waterproof and much easier to clean than their carpet, tile, and linoleum counterparts.
- Choosing from all of the available patterns, designs, and colors of LVP flooring can be overwhelming, however. If you are looking for a specific flooring color, it may take you a lot more time than you want to find it if you have decided to install luxury vinyl plank.
- Also, do not forget that planks are different than tiles, carpet, or even linoleum. They are installed differently, and this can be confusing.
- You may also have a hard time trying to find somebody to install LVP flooring, as it is not as common as other forms of flooring.
All of this considered, if you are looking for new flooring, definitely consider luxury vinyl plank.